Second Epistle of Peter
Introduction to II Peter
As he faces his imminent exit (according to Jesus’s earlier word to him) Peter writes this second epistle to us as a grand reminder of well known truths that, if heeded, will keep us growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, will render us neither useless or unfruitful in His service and furnish us a lavish entrance into His eternal kingdom. God has done the heavy lifting, giving us everything pertaining to life and godliness. Now our part is bring due diligence to the growth process.
To incentivize us, Peter reminds us that our faith is firmly rooted in history and divine revelation through the prophets and apostles, like him. Still, he warns, as in the past, so in the present and future, false teachers, whose ways he profiles, will always appear to seduce those who are unstable and unalert. From these we need to keep our distance. And as we walk with Christ in the present, it is imperative that we keep focused on our future hope despite the mockers who will dispute it. Keeping our eyes fixed on the approach of the day of the Lord begs us to live in moral readiness for the end of history and the reign of God into eternity.
- Dec 30, 2016: II Peter 1:1-3
- Jan 2, 2017: II Peter 1:3-5
- Jan 3, 2017: II Peter 1:5-7
- Jan 4, 2017: II Peter 1:8-11
- Jan 5, 2017: II Peter 1:12-21
- Jan 6, 2017: II Peter 2:1
- Jan 9, 2017: II Peter 2:1-5
- Jan 10, 2017: II Peter 2:6-11
- Jan 11, 2017: II Peter 2:12-17
- Jan 12, 2017: II Peter 2:18-22
- Jan 13, 2017: II Peter 3:1-5
- Jan 16, 2017: II Peter 3:6-18